You have to feel connected to your partner before they will listen to you or before you will listen to them. You may love them, but not like them.
Ways Of Building Rapport (Connectedness):
- Give each other a foot massage – great to do while watching TV, or listening to music.
- Shoulder massage
- Go out on regular dates
- Get into the habit of giving gifts, flowers, cards.
- Make a special effort to remember birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions.
- Acknowledge your partner, tell what they are doing right.
- Only if you really feel it, tell him/her you love them.
- Recommit to the relationship – you can make it into a special occasion.
- Sit facing each other, hold hands, look into each others eyes. No talking (10-15 minutes).
- Lie on the bed, hold each other, hug, breathe in unison. (10-15 minutes).
- Sit facing each other, hold hands, look into each others eyes. Take turns saying “I love you.”
- No other talking (10-15 minutes)